With its head office and manufacturing facilities in Port Elizabeth, the company began distributing Chevrolet vehicles since 1913 and started manufacturing in 1926, producing brands such as Chevrolet, Oakland, GMC trucks, Buick, Pontiac, Oldsmobile and Vauxhall.
Today the motor manufacturer employs approximately 1800 people at its assembly plants and headquarters located in Port Elizabeth. GMSA’s sales and marketing office is located in Woodmead in Johannesburg, and its’ regional offices are in Durban and Cape Town.
The company’s 133 dealerships are situated in towns and cities throughout the country, distributing brands like Chevrolet, Opel and Isuzu.
SHORT HISTORICAL BACKGROUND
- 1913 - GMSA established and began with distributing Chevrolet vehicles
- 1926 - GMSA started assembling vehicles in 1926, producing brands such as Chevrolet, Oakland, GMC trucks, Buick, Pontiac, Oldsmobile and Vauxhall
- 1986 - GM disinvests from South Africa due to political pressure
- 1987 - Delta Motor Corporation is formed
- 1997 - General Motors Corporation purchased 49% stake in Delta Motor Corporation
- 2004 - GM Returned to South Africa by purchasing remaining 51%